You can see massage therapy studios across the United States, as well as hire therapists for chair massages in your office or get a quick massage in the mall.
What exactly is a licensed massage therapist?
This type of therapist can be identified by their obtainment of a state license. For example, our therapists must have their State of Texas Massage Establishment License. This means that they have met certain requirements per the state in their education.
- Complete at least 500 credit hours of education in the following.
- Theory, techniques, and practice of soft tissue manipulation: 200 hours, with no less than 125 hours focused on Swedish massage therapy techniques
- Anatomy: 50 hours
- Kinesiology: 50 hours
- Laws and rules, ethics, and business practice: 45 hours
- Pathology: 40 hours
- Physiology: 25 hours
- Hydrotherapy: 20 hours
- Hygiene, health, universal precautions, first aid, and CPR: 20 hours
- Internship: 50 hours
- Therapists who received their license before September 1, 2007, need 300 hours while those who got one before January 1, 1992, require credit 250 hours.
- Pass state and national exams.
- Submit an application and pass a background test.
- Renew your license when necessary and complete any extra required coursework.
The benefits of choosing to work with a licensed massage therapist
If you are looking to get any form of massage, especially if you want this therapy regularly, you should go with a licensed therapist. There are many benefits you will see from doing this, including their knowledge of bones, ligaments, muscles, and joints.
Massage therapy establishments are required to maintain public health and safety standards. They also hold liability insurance like many other businesses. When it comes to the quality of service, licensed massage therapists provide the highest-quality therapies. You should be able to choose between services, like deep tissue therapy, acupuncture, and Swedish massage, at many establishments.
Personalization of therapy services is another benefit you’ll experience. Licensed massage therapists want to make sure you are comfortable and get the best services for your needs. They are open to dialogue, so don’t be nervous to tell them if you are uncomfortable or ask any questions you have.
What happens if you don’t work with a licensed therapist?
Anyone can offer to provide massage therapy services, but if they aren’t licensed, they may not be professional. If you choose an establishment that doesn’t employe professionals with a license, they may not be legitimate either. There is no way to know if the unlicensed business is legitimate or if they are doing something illegal. Chances are they are not, but an unlicensed therapist won’t have as much knowledge or experience to help you relax and heal.
Do you need professional massage therapy?
If you are looking for a licensed therapist, Zen Deep Therapy in Austin, Texas can help. All of our therapists are licensed and experienced in a variety of services, including Swedish Massage, Deep Tissue Massage, Cupping Therapy, and more. We also offer Skin Care services like hydration facials.