If you’ve chosen to get a deep tissue massage, you likely understand that it is meant to help your whole body with relaxation.
This is the lowest level of pressure you can get with a deep tissue massage. With this therapy, there has to be some amount of pressure to reach the deeper levels of tissues within the body. If this isn’t comfortable for you, a Swedish massage may be a better option. This type of pressure can help with removing muscle knots and pain in more sensitive areas like the neck, spine, and pecs. These areas may require stronger trigger point work, too.
If you feel like more pressure is needed, medium pressure may work better for you. This can help with general aches and chronic pain as well as trapped nerves. Trigger point work may also be used alongside medium pressure deep tissue massage to release muscle tension and remove knots.
The deepest amount of pressure used may feel slightly “uncomfortable,” but this is often described as the “good kind.” Massage therapists will use their hands, elbows, and forearms to knead the deepest levels of tissues and muscles. If your muscles are not used to this type of therapy, you may feel sore the next day. It is comparable to completing a workout that you are not accustomed to doing.
General benefits of deep tissue massage
If you aren’t sure how much pressure you need out of a massage, you can ask your therapist for their opinion. There are some general benefits that deep tissue massage at any pressure can give you.
- Reduction of chronic and acute pain
- Help with healing injuries
- Improvement in blood pressure
- Stress relief
- Reduction in muscle knots
- Optimization of joint mobility and flexibility
Deep tissue massage therapy can also help with certain medical issues. These include fibromyalgia, tennis elbow, plantar fasciitis, sciatica, and arthritis. Before you get this type of therapy, be sure to speak with your doctor to make sure it won’t worsen your condition or symptoms.
Tips for your first deep tissue massage
If you are planning on getting your first deep tissue massage, there are some things you should know. First, you can set up a consultation with your chosen therapist so they can explain the process and answer your questions. They will also want to know about your health history. Here are some other tips to help you.
- Remember to relax. Your muscles cannot be tense during the massage. The therapist will help you by gently manipulating your muscles.
- Know your body. If you aren’t comfortable with an area being massaged or if you have too much pain, let the therapist know. This also applies to you having a health condition that excludes you from getting this service at all.
- Be open with your massage therapist. Not everyone enjoys deep tissue massage, so don’t be afraid to let them know if it doesn’t work well for your needs.
Deep tissue massage in Austin, Texas
To learn more about Deep Tissue Massage, contact the professionals at Zen Deep Therapy today. We provide a variety of services including Swedish Massage, Cupping, Acupuncture, and Skin Care services. You can reach us at (512) 940-4087 or Send Us an email for more information.