If you have never had a professional massage, you likely have a lot of questions.
1. Can I have a drink before getting a massage?
Having a nice glass of wine can be relaxing in the right environments. But, it isn’t recommended that you drink any alcohol before seeing a massage therapist. There are many reasons for this.
- You will not be in tune with your body during a massage if you drink alcohol beforehand. Your therapist won’t be able to properly provide you with their services either.
- Because this therapy causes your blood to flow more strongly, you can actually feel the effects of alcohol more.
- Massage therapy and drinking can cause dehydration, so if you put the two together, it can cause a hangover. Plus, dehydration can be dangerous.
- Drinking too much alcohol can weaken the immune system. Massage therapy can enhance it. So, you run the risk of cancelling out this benefit if you drink before a massage.
2. Is it rude to sleep during massage therapy?
Many people struggle to fall asleep outside of their homes, while others could sleep anywhere. You may think it is rude to sleep during a massage, but it can actually be seen as a good thing. Also, falling asleep during this treatment is common. If your massage therapist is well-trained, they will put your body into a state of relaxation and healing. This should trigger the same response in your brain, which can result in a great nap.
3. Can I get a massage even though I’m pregnant?
The answer to this question is yes! Prenatal massage is a common practice that many moms-to-be use for relaxation. This type of therapy provides a number of benefits, including decreased aches and pains, reduced tension, less fatigue, and even decreased sciatic pain. Before getting a prenatal massage, speak with your doctor to be sure it is safe for you.
4. Will massage oils clog my pores or make my acne worse?
This is a good question to ask your massage therapist. Some oils will clog your pores, but those that are non-comedogenic will work just fine. There are also non-oil options available for those with acne. You may be able to call ahead and see what your options are before scheduling an appointment.
5. Will massage therapy help me lose weight?
Weight loss requires exercise and a proper diet. But, massage therapy can be a good aid to your goals. It can lower your cortisol levels, which in turn can help you keep weight off. Think of this therapy as a way to relax your body and mind, help you focus, and have better overall health.
6. Is it normal to be sore after a massage?
Depending on your situation, it is normal to feel sore after this therapy. This is especially true if you have had a deep tissue massage. Just like when exercising muscles you don’t normally use, your therapist will be stretching and manipulating muscles. If you aren’t accustomed to this, you may feel sore the next day.
7. Is it okay to get a massage when you’re sick?
The short answer to this is no, you should not get a massage if you are feeling sick. Your body will need to heal, and although a relaxing massage seems like a good idea, it will do the opposite. Not only will it cause you to feel more sick, you could put your therapist at risk of getting sick too.
Are you looking for massage therapy in Austin?
At Zen Deep Therapy, our goal is to help you relax, heal, and get back to living your best life. We provide a variety of services including Swedish Massage, Cupping Therapy, Acupuncture, and Skin Care. You can reach us at (512) 940-4087 or Contact Us by email for more information.